This salad can be served as either an appetizer or as a main course and is the perfect summer salad. Feel free to vary the seafood according to what is available, such as lobster, conch, clams, scallops or octopus.
Juice of 2 lemons
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
¼ cup red wine vinegar
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 hot peppers, chopped (use your favorite)
4 tbsp. flat leaf parsley, chopped
½ tsp. Lemon zest
1 small head radicchio
4 oz. baby Arugola
1 small red onion, sliced
1 small fennel bulb, julienned
1 carrot, julienned
2lb. Squid, cleaned and cut into rings
24 black mussels, scrubbed and beard removed
1lb. large shrimp, peeled and de-veined
- In a large bowl, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice, carrot, garlic, zest and hot pepper.
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add the shrimp and cook until they turn pink and are just cooked through, about 2 minutes.
- Remove the shrimp with a slotted spoon and add to the dressing.
- Add the squid to the boiling water and cook for about 1 minute. Drain well and add to the dressing.
- Cook the mussels and ½ cup water in a pan over medium heat. Cover and cook until the mussels open, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and discard any mussels that do not open. Add the mussels to the dressing along with the red onions, fennel and parsley.
- Thoroughly mix everything together to coat with the dressing.
- Taste for salt, pepper, olive oil, and lemon juice and adjust the seasonings as needed.
- Refrigerate and marinate for 2 hours to let the flavors develop.
- To serve. Make a bed of radicchio leaves on a platter and scatter the Arugola on top. Spoon the seafood mixture into the center.