Dough: For one 12 inch pie shell
1 cup all purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1 egg yolk
1 tsp. Salt
1 tbsp. buttermilk
1 tsp. Vanilla extract
- In a food processor, combine flour, sugar, salt and orange zest. Add butter and pulse to a coarse mixture. You want small chunks of butter to remain in the mixture.
- Whisk together the buttermilk, egg yolk and vanilla. Using the pulse button, quickly incorporate the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients until dough forms.
- Gather the dough into a ball, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for one hour.
2 Nectarines, peeled, cored and quartered
1 cup strawberries, quartered
1 cup raspberries
1 cup blackberries
1 cup sweet butter, cut into small chunks
1 cup sugar, plus 1 tablespoon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place chilled dough on a nonstick cookie sheet and roll it into a circle about 14 inches in diameter.
- Arrange the nectarines in the center of the dough and mound the berries on top. Scatter the chunks of butter over the fruit and sprinkle 1 cup of sugar on top.
- Fold up the edges of the dough up and over the berries into a pouch, leaving some of the fruit in the center, partly exposed. Sprinkle the remaining sugar over the dough and bake the tart to a golden color, about 40 minutes.