This is one of those peasant dishes which I consider a delicacy. It’s also something you almost never see in any Italian restaurants.
2 lbs. Tripe
¼ cup vinegar
2 large potatoes, cut into large dice
1 medium onion
1 large carrot, cut into large dice
4 cloves garlic
2 cups white wine
1 cup tomato sauce
6 basil leaves, roughly chopped
1 tbsp. red pepper flakes
Extra virgin olive oil
- Cook tripe in boiling water and add vinegar.
- Lower heat and simmer 45 minutes.
- Cook potatoes in water to a firm texture and set aside.
- When tripe is done, remove from water and slice into strips.
- Sauté sliced onions, carrots and garlic in olive oil.
- Add tripe and potatoes to pan.
- Add wine, tomato sauce and a bit of salt and pepper.
- Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in basil and Chile flakes. Season if needed, stir in some extra virgin olive oil and serve.