2 cups cannellini beans, soaked overnight and drained
½ cup prosciutto cut into chunks
1 medium white onion, diced
1-cup pasta (ditalini, pastina, tubettini)
1-cup white wine
1 cup tomato sauce
2 quarts Chicken Broth
½ sprig fresh rosemary, chopped
Olive oil, Salt & Pepper
- Heat olive oil in a small soup pot and sauté prosciutto, rosemary & onions over medium heat until onions are translucent.
- Add beans, white wine and a bit of pepper.
- Cover the beans with chicken broth & bring to a boil. Add marinara sauce and reduce heat to a simmer.
- When the beans are tender take half of them out, mash them and return to pot and continue to cook over low heat.
- Add pasta and cook another 20 minutes.
- If the soup is too thick add a little water or a little more wine.
- Add salt and pepper as needed and serve.
This soup will sing with the addition of some freshly grated Parmesan cheese or a drizzle of some extra virgin olive oil or both!
Restaurant trick: Take the hard rind from a piece of fresh Parmesan cheese and add it to the soup when you add the broth. When the soup is done remove what is left of that piece of Parmesan. Your soup will be laced with the lush flavor of Parmesan.